There is no question that we love cookies in this house and these snickerdoodles are one of our staples. We both love most things cinnamon and sugar add that to a cookie and it is no surprise we enjoy them. I mean just look at them!
Cookies can be tricky to bake sometimes and snickerdoodles seem to cause me more trouble than others. These ideas and troubleshoots have helped me.
- Rotate- rotate the cookies halfway for more even cooking.
- Undercook- If you overcook snickerdoodles they will be hard. It is better to take them out a minute or two before they would be ready and are still a little underdone in the middle. They will finish up on the pan.
- Shortening and sugar- make sure they are creamed together very well and not gritty. You want to get the most air in them you can before adding the other ingredients.
- Room temp- all ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Fresh ingredients- if your cream of tartar or baking soda is really old it may not work as well, causing flat cookies.
- Cake flour- if you want them to be very fluffy you can use cake flour. I haven’t tried this but it would make them lighter.